Re: Cache Digests Diffs

From: Kevin Littlejohn <darius@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 09:17:27 +1000

Slightly different approach: Have you looked at http://rsync.samba.org/ ?
This is a package that generates a diff without a second copy - it uses
rolling checksums and other niftyness. The author spoke at a conference
here the other day, and indicated he had more interest in the library than
the rsync program - ie. he wants to see people using the library for various
tasks, rather than just the tool itself being used as a glorified scp. It
would seem that if diffs can be generated without holding an entire second
copy of the cache-digest in memory, it might be a big win...

KevinL

>>> Alex Rousskov wrote
> Hi there,
>
> We have a simple yet efficient algorithm to generate Cache Digests
> diffs/deltas. Before we start implementing this long awaited feature, we
> want to poll for better algorithms! Sorry, no cash prizes. Details at
> http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/CacheDigest/diffs.html
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alex.

Kevin Littlejohn,
Technical Architect, Connect.com.au
Don't let the Govt censor our access to the 'net -
http://www.efa.org.au/Campaigns/stop.html