Re: PATCH: CygWin port enhancement - 2nd revision

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: 16 Aug 2001 12:30:21 +1000

On 16 Aug 2001 02:07:15 +0200, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> One minor thing:
>
> I don't like the way you open %SYSTEM%\hosts.txt
>
> a) When opening the system derived hosts file, you should NOT overwrite the
> configuration settings.
>
> b) And the system derived hosts file should NOT be read if the user has specified
> a path, even if that path fails.

That leaves a problem: How does the user specify "the default hosts file
for this machine".
none means don't try to read - which Guido honoured.
anything else is considered a path... perhaps we can add
default
as a value to that config option, and that means, use the default for
this platform?

> Personally I would prefer if this was solved by using a runtime default value for
> the host file on WIN32, not including cygwin where /etc/hosts is actually

in cygwin /etc/hosts is meant to be a symlink to %system%\hosts.txt. It
_may not be_, but thats the recommended setup.

Rob