Re: Compiling for COSS (was Re: squid-2.4stable2 ?)

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 11:34:20 -0500

Adrian Chadd wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 21, 2001, Joe Cooper wrote:
>

>>>Are you using IDE PIO? If so, try DMA.
>>>
>>Sometimes you stun me spotting these things from afar, Henrik. Being a
>>new machine, which was not originally destined for being a test box
>>(it's going to find it's way into a colo facility soon to be the company
>>webserver), it never had DMA enabled. Interrupts are way down with DMA
>>enabled and CPU usage has dropped a bit too. I'm pushing it to 100
>>right now, with two drives, and it's looking very good.
>>

> Phew. :)

Made it through an all-night run at 100. Hit ratio dropped a lot during
the long run, but she weathered it just fine. Good news.

>>Apologies, Adrian. It's like I'm /trying/ to make COSS look worse than
>>it is, eh?
>
> Nah, lets just put it down as a comedy of errors. Now I need to solve
> that partial-object problem. Can you find me a URL that always fails?
> I'd like to throw the thing through 'client' to see what the story is.
> The little testing I've done here doesn't show anything, but again
> it doesn't mean there is nothing wrong.. :)

Completely random as far as I can tell. But it happens pretty
consistently when under high load (load two pages, at least one will be
incomplete in some way).

> You should also upgrade to the latest diskio - i moved the
> client sock buf size back to 4k. The actual buffer itself isn't used
> anymore, but I think if it doesn't match SM_PAGE_SIZE things will
> break (and I'll go and do the substitution later.)

Will do so now.

I'll reserve further comments until I've tried the latest.
                                   --
                      Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                  Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances