Re: Release Schedule

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 18:49:25 -0500

Robert Collins wrote:

> On 21 Aug 2001 13:33:39 -0500, Joe Cooper wrote:
>
>>What branch should I grab for this? Any configuration details I should
>>know about?
>>

> On sourceforge, the branch external_logger is the one. It does add a new
> config option for the log program to be used, but the defaults will work
> fine. What it does is log everything through an external helper - logd
> by default - which is allowed to do anything it wants, as long as it
> keeps the pipe nice and empty by read()ing lots.
>
> This is needed to allow rotates and reconfiugres with ntlm - ntlm
> helpers cannot be shut down synchronously, which introduces a lovely
> little race with the debug log file, preventing rotate and reconfigure
> completely on win32, and causing log entries into the old log file on
> unix.
>
> What I'm interested in is the behaviour at high log entry rates -
> access.log uses a helper as well (to allow the log-to-sql that has come
> up before) so simply pushing the squid, seeing if it goes as high as
> you'd have hoped :] and then seeing if access.log did catch every
> request should a good trial...

So far so good. I'm running it at 50 reqs/sec (on very modest hardware
that maxes at 70 on a recent aufs squid), and I'm pretty sure it's
catching everything. My only test for this at the moment is that I see
all of /my/ browser requests being logged accurately--I can't be sure
the polygraph requests are all being logged until I do a line count and
compare that to the number of requests sent.

It doesn't appear to be slowing Squid in any major way, though I'll have
to give it a harder push to know that for sure (I didn't compile in
aufs, wanting to keep the first run as simple as possible).

It certainly compiled without complaint and started up the logd daemon
without a hitch (two of them, actually...is that normal? for cache.log
and access.log, I presume? store.log is disabled). It also doesn't
seem to be eating an inordinate amount of CPU (i.e. almost none, as I
would expect from logging). Rotate works fine as well.

After this has run for about 2 hours, I'll do a line count comparison
and then run it with aufs just to be sure it can handle a real load.

(I like this testing cool new stuff and having it Just Work. So, this
means rotate requests will now effect the log daemon rather than the
running Squid? And does this also mean that we could do something
creepy like create a log analyser daemon that does analyses in realtime?)
                                   --
                      Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                  Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances