Re: next version of content-encoding / gzip design doc

From: <garana@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 12:41:03 -0300

Hi there,

I'm back with this task (again).

Jon: you are far more advanced than I am on understanding squid. I can start helping content compression writing GzipCoder, if you want to.

(Already discussed) About TE/Transfer-Encoding vs Accept-Encoding/Content-Encoding: Content-Encoding implementation (even if it bends standards) seems to be the reasonable choice, since TE/Transfer-Encoding is not available on most common browsers.

If implemented as Content-Encoding the following headers should be altered before encoding:

ETag: modified (appending "CEgz", for instance?)
Vary: append Accept-Encoding (if not already there)
Connection: if client is 1.1, could be set to keep-alive, but Transfer-Encoding chunked should be added/checked.

Hope this provides some light about possible encoding options.

Regards,

--
Gonzalo Arana
Ingenieria