Re: ETag support

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 15:36:35 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004, Mati wrote:

> 2. our whole project is continously being recorded on our site
> http://rainbow.mimuw.edu.pl/~ms189442/mmsquid we invite everyone
> interested to visit the site - any suggestions are welcome.

Have been reading your side and patch conclusions, and you seem to have
identified the problematic spots.

The store management in Squid-3 is significantly different from that of
Squid-2.5. This part is most likely better rewritten from scratch than
trying to port the patch.

And regarding Vary... the two go intimately together. There is not very
much value in implementing ETag if not having Vary using it.. If all you
want it to implement the missing ETag functionality with no respect to
Vary then the patch is basically not needed. The bulk of the patch
implements the Vary+ETag combo.

While developing the ETag patch I tried to collect relevant notes on how
these headers go together at http://devel.squid-cache.org/etag/