Re: STL revisited

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 02:25:58 +0200

mån 2006-09-04 klockan 09:21 +1000 skrev Robert Collins:

> Right now, 3.0 is the top priority. However, I think the big step is
> saying 'using the STL is allowed' - we should always be considering any
> individual change with rigour - and doing a single large branch is going
> to be much harder than just having a series of branches which say 'here
> is an improvement X, and it happens to use this STL feature.'

Again, I am fine with forking 3.0 pretty soon to allow for these things
to get started in an incremental manner if you prefer doing further
refactoring instead of focusing on bugfixes.

I very much prefer this kind of transition to be done incrementally over
time instead of a big batch.

I don't agree that forking would seriously further delay 3.0 unless the
developers wanting to see 3.0.STABLE can't focus. People wanting to work
on new features is likely to do that anyway rather than fixing bugs, and
I rather have those efforts collected incrementally (with due review) in
HEAD than floating around and bitrotting elsewhere like we have done in
the past..