Re: Squid w/ ICAP 204s

From: Christos Tsantilas <christos_at_chtsanti.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 00:04:04 +0200

Lisa Fowler wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 12:24 PM, Christos Tsantilas
> <christos_at_chtsanti.net> wrote:
>> Lisa Fowler wrote:
>>
>>> to do is vector the data off the proxy, but still send the data
>>> unmodified to the client, which is why my ICAP server only responds
>>> with 204s...
>> Maybe it is better to use the preview feature. The squid will send the
>> headers plus some data of the body and waits for an answer from ICAP
>> server, "100 continue" or "204 allow". Your icap server can respond always
>> with 204.
>
> The preview doesn't guarantee that the entire body is sent, right? I
> need to see all of the payload...

When preview is enabled the icap client send to the ICAP server only
the HTTP Headers and a part of the body, not entire body. The maximum
body data an icap client can send in preview requests defined by the
ICAP server in OPTIONS responses.
In squid can also defined using the icap_preview_size configuration
parameter.

If you need to examine all body data, you should respond with 204 when
supported else echo back to squid the http data...