Re: Curious ftp problem with squid 1.1.3

From: Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 20:04:37 -0800

On Jan 16, 8:35pm, carson@lehman.com wrote:
} Subject: Re: Curious ftp problem with squid 1.1.3
}
} <sigh> Unfortunately, even when saving to disk, some browsers seem to pay
} attention to the MIME type, and barf on "text/plain" files that contain
} arbitrary characters. Or at least that's the gist I got from the discussion.

You really can't win either way. If you copy a real text file in binary
mode, it may be "corrupted" as well, or at least the line termination
characters might not be what you expect.
        DOS/Windows uses CR/LF
        Unix uses LF
        MacOS uses something other than either of the above, I think.

If you fetch a text file from a Unix ftp server as application/octet-stream,
it will be displayed stair-step fashion on a Windows box.

If you fetch a text file from a Windows NT server as application/octet-stream,
it will have extraneous CR characters on a Unix box, which seems to confuse
the "more" command amoung other problems.

No doubt bad things will happen between MacOS and the other two OS flavors.

                        --- Truck