Re: Fetching caches for siblings..

From: David Luyer <luyer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 20:44:45 +0800 (WST)

On Thu, 17 Apr 1997, Peter Marelas wrote:

>Ive noticed our cache will fetch pages for siblings when a TCP_REFRESH_MISS
>occurs, even if the sibling is not allowed miss access.
>
>It there any way to stop this? Or am I interpreting it wrong.
>We are running squid 1.1.9 on BSDI 2.0.
>
>861267958.005 203794 203.X.Y.Z TCP_REFRESH_MISS/200 5840 GET http://X.Y.Z/0.gif - FIRST_PARENT_MISS/W.X.Y.Z image/gif

Do you really *want* to stop this? Your cache has returned an ICP_HIT,
since it thinks it has a valid page. On further inspection it doesn't
have a valid page. Say you stop it. The requesting cache asks you for
the page and gets an error page in return, then gives their client an
error page (usually resulting in a broken icon on the web page they are
requesting, or a broken web page). Would you like your sibling to do this
back to you? I thought not - so why do it to them?

The actual traffic effect is likely to be negligible.

David.