squid through firewall proxy

From: David Lafko <lafko@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 10:40:51 -0400

I installed squid 1.1.10. No problems getting it to run, but no success
getting it to cache either internal or Internet sites. I keep seeing
RELEASEs on the content I really want to cache to reduce traffic/speed
performance.

The problem seems to be that squid does not get the mime type for some
objects and does not cache unknown types. For my internal sites (i.e.,
Intranet) this happens where the connection is direct and this also
happens through my firewall where squid has to use the proxy. I have 2
proxies on the firewall -- very old netscape (1.12)that does not cache
AND TIS fwtk 1.4 (http-gw). Same problem with both. cache host is
proxy (e.g., cache_host proxy_host parent 8080 0 no-query default)

I have checked that the local server accurately reports the mime type by
telneting to port 80 and retrieving the HEAD. The files seem be the
gifs and jpegs that aren't type recognized and get RELEASEd. That's
what I want to cache. The files aren't very large.

Looked at FAQ, docs, conf file (every line) and searched list. HELP!

Please send replies to lafko@ici.org I'm not on the list.

Thanks.