Re: no proxy for

From: Mervyn Jack <mervynj@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 15:10:06 +1000 (EST)

> I have read this many times and what it really says from the conf file is
> that if you specify domain or local ip then it will fetch from them
> direct and not from a parent or sibling, note the "FETCH", ,,,squid will
> fetch direct, not the browser :-)

I too have been wondering about this.

I've noticed that even though I have local domain cnl.com.au , squid still
get's the requested file and caches it. Squid doesn't actually tell the
browser to go get the file directly, which is what is really needed to
save processor and disk usage.

I can see circumstances where you'd want it to work the way it does, like
have a remote cache on your own network, so an extra directive is what's
needed.

Mervyn Jack, Technical Services, Country Netlink, Cobram, Vic, Australia.
Providing Internet access to the Cobram, Shepparton & Benalla local call
areas.
Phone 03 5871 1000 | Fax 03 5871 1874 | Mobile 019 438419
Work: http://www.cnl.com.au | Personal: http://www.cnl.com.au/~mervynj