Re: Cache growing too large!

From: Malcolm B.J. Garbutt <mgarbutt@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 17:04:09 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 12 Jun 1997, Jeff Halper wrote:

> > > I've been using squid for about 2 weeks now. My 4-gig drive is 75% full.
> > > Each day it grows a bit larger. How do I control the expire process? Will
> > > squid expire items to make rook at some critical size? or will it just
> > > grow to 100% and crash? Or, is 4 gigs not enough?
If this is all used for cache you should have no probs as long as you
have about 3.3GIG available for squid
you may set squid cache_size to 3000, but you also have a cache_swap_log
that is required and generally stored in the cache directory, also be
aware that if you have all the other logging enable, then you have to
allow for that space.

I ran into this same problem when I installed a new 6.5GIG drive for a
second cache and after installation of OS software and squid I have
6.1Gig Left, so I said cache_mem 6000
well 2 weeks later "CRASH", no space left
then I done some research and some good feedback from access-one and
connect.com about big squid setups, and learn't the above, also note
memory is not what it says as you might say 20MB Ram, but it also uses
alot more, we set cache_mem 20MB on a secondary squid and it is using
76.5MB ram, we have 128MB ram, so I am thinking of upping it, but we
generally find it uses 3.5 x AMOUNT_OF_RAM_SPECIFIED.

The ram usage info is in the archives at http://squid.nlanar.net, search
for an article from connect.com in the last 3 months.

> > > Thanks for any help or advice.
> > >
> > > Jeff Halper
> > > Internet Hotline
> > > 408/881-1000
> > > http://www.ihot.com
> > > mailto:jeff@ihot.com

Malcolm Garbutt
Network Operations-
MILDURA.NET MURRAY.NET

Office Ph. 03 50 212 991 Office Fax 03 50 212 932
Emergency Ph. 018 596 150

            .....Bringing the World to You......