Re: Cache server.

From: Leigh Porter <leigh@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 1997 09:02:24 +0100

Jean-Francois Micouleau wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, Matt Isleb wrote:
>

> > On Fri, 4 Jul 1997, Leigh Porter wrote:
> >
> > > Not being experianced with cache server demands, would this
> > > be a good spec for a heavily used server to sit on a Global
> Network?
> > >
> > > MicroWay DEC Alpha "Screamer" Mboard
> > > 500Mhz DEC Alpha CPU
> > > 256Mb Ram
> > > Adaptech 3940 UW Dual Channel SCSI Controller
> > > 4 4.5Gb HDD's (One for /, logs, etc and 3 for cache spool)
> > > Drives run at 5,400 RPM
> > >
> > > Does that general spec sound good?
> >
> > Talk about overkill! All that dedicated to cache?? What type of
> network?
> > How many nodes simutaniosly served?
> >
> > Matt
>
> Stop this silly thread of big CPU. A big CPU is not needed for
>
> SQUID. All you need is RAM. It's better to have too much ram than to
> have
> a fast cpu. A swaping squid machine is totally useless.

This is more like it :) I thought the same thing, news is the same sort
of thing. Givenews lots of memory and it's happy. I looked into the
Alpha's because they
seemes to give good price/performence ratios and I was thinking of
future
expansion, but as you say below I think I may look into building two
smaller
caches (both with more memory :)

> When you set-up a cache it's to lower your network bandwidth. But
> people
> always think about their connection to internet and forget their
> internal
> network. I really think it's better to setup several small caches than
> big one.

We have plenty of bandwidth internally :) It's also kind of tricky to
decidewhere to place caches on a big global network like ours. It's a
case of
deciding where the most users are, where it costs the most for more
bandwidth etc etc.