Re: DNS server + Transparent Proxy

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 23:41:30 +0100

A.Saeed wrote:

> Is it possible that we can implement dns server in Squid cache
> but it may be the problem of browser ?

The browser delays "Looking up host..." is NOT Squid related. This is
the client trying to figure out which IP address to contact the origin
server on. This IP address is later on trapped by your transparent
proxy.

These delays are expected, and you get them regardless if there is a
transparent proxy in the path or not. It is how it is done.

The ONLY way to eleminate these delays is to use a normal proxy (fill in
the proxy settings in the browser). By doing this you move the lookup
from the browser to Squid which usually does a much better job, and a
positive side effect is that the user is free to abort while Squid
handles the lookup since the browser does not block while Squid handles
the lookup.

The best way to tune your DNS system (the one your clients is configured
to use as DNS server in their TCP/IP settings) to respond as quickly as
possible is to never restart it, and to have enought memory and CPU
power available for the DNS server.

---
Henrik Nordström
Sparetime Squid Hacker