Re: Ideal hardware for squid proxy server

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 15:00:30 +0200

Hi

> I'm running squid with 3Gig cache on an IDE hard disk and pentium 133 with 64 mb of RAM under Linux Redhat 5. It works
> well, but the server is kind of overloaded. The hard disk is spinning all the time and it is not as fast as I would like to. So I'm

Before you go and upgrade hardware, give squid-1.2 a try... the
threads REALLY speed it up. Your machine is almost certainly spending
all of it's time waiting for open() and close()

www.linux.org.za/squid/ has 1.2 linux info

Oskar

---
"Haven't slept at all. I don't see why people insist on sleeping. You feel
so much better if you don't. And how can anyone want to lose a minute -
a single minute of being alive?"				-- Think Twice