My network admin is having a baby

From: S. L. Martin <smartin@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 22:28:12 -0500

I am the assistant network administrator (really just in training) and
lost my squid proxy hard drive last night. My network administrator's
wife is having a baby and this has been thrown in my lap and has to be
fixed by sometime monday. After hours of trying to get it back up on my
own I am submitting this in the hopes of some help.

I am using stock Redhat 5.0 and realize that there is a problem with the
setresuid being broken. My question is what is the best way to go about
fixing this. I am really not that familiar with doing some of the
suggestions in the faq and the vaqueness of how exactly to go about
using some of the recommendations is beyond what I am familiar with.

For example the suggestion of using the setenv etc....
comes back with a program not found.

Changing the 1 to a 0 just changes my compile time from about 30 seconds
to 10 minutes and many warnings and it still didn't fix it.

Whatever you suggest I will do. Can I simply upgrade to a newer kernal
or a newer glibc to solve this. I looked through linuxhq.com for a
kernal fix and there was nothing there about this function, so I am
guessing that it is in glibc.

Using search enginges the only thing I really found were references for
HP and the section of the squid faq that talks about this problem.
Sorry to beat this over the head. The searchable archive link doesn't
work and I only found the same answers in the mail archives that were in
the faq. Sorry if I missed it, it has been a long day (I have compiled
and installed squid 8 times today and still not had any luck).

steven martin.