Re: My 1.1.20 on Solaris 2.6 x86 stalls

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 23:44:06 +0200

Bill Vickery wrote:
> The setup is Solaris 2.6 x86 running on a dual Pentium Pro, 64MB
..
> normal/no activity. The big clue (I hope) is that trying to open a new
> telnet or rsh during the "stall" also fails to connect. They also
> appear to be blocked until everything mysteriously comes good again.

Have you disabled Solaris nscd? It is single-threaded caching name
service and can have a very bad inpact on concurrent DNS lookups. Anyway
it is quite useless on a Squid machine as Squid caches names on it's
own.

"/etc/init.d/nscd stop" may do the trick (I think there is some
configuration file that should be updated as well. I don't have access
to a Solaris system at home).

---
Henrik Nordström