Re: Proxy hangs completly after an uptime of 3Weeks

From: Tomasz Papszun <papszun@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 21:00:36 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 21 May 1998, Dancer wrote:
> Although it's not a good idea to throw this on your production servers
> unless you are willing to wear the possible consequences. Bug reports
> are still coming in on 2.0.34pre15, they may not bite you. They may bite
> you.

Of course one should know what he is doing if decides to patch the kernel
sources. I must say that I had similar hesitating before patching the
kernel and only did now - the very first time for about 2 years of
administering Linux machine!
I reported to my Linux guru :-) evidences (hanging and the messages) and
he only asked if I had up-to-date patches. I wasn't keen on patching my
production serwer but he (and another Linux good administrator) advised me
to just patch because the patches mentioned seem to be near-final 2.0.34
version. Of course, I would not use any 2.1.x version!

Anyway, after having a few freezings of the machine, I'd rather had some
minor bugs from pre-2.0.34 than hanging the server from Friday to Monday!

[ I attacked myself with some of the programs mentioned just before
rebooting with the new kernel - and the old one proved vulnerable, than
used patch-2.0.34pre12.gz and repeated the "attack" with no harm. So far
(9 days) I didn't noticed any problems. ]

Squid-users not interested in Linux details: sorry for a little-bit
off-topic message.

Tomek
-- Tomasz Papszun, TP S.A. Lodz, Poland tomek@lodz.tpsa.pl