Re: Netscape stays blocked

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 00:56:55 +0100

Chris Vaughan wrote:

> I found Netscape tended to hang when the proxy was set. However,
> when I removed Socks from the services proxied it worked.

You should fill in EITHER the protocol proxy settings or the socks
server field, not both. If both are filled in then the socks server is
used to reach the proxy server which most likely is not what you
intended.

SOCKS is another method of proxying by using a specific proxying
protocol between the client and the SOCKS proxy server. Squid is NOT a
SOCKS server. Squid is a HTTP proxy server acting as a HTTP->FTP/Gopher
gateway in line with the HTTP specifications for proxies.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker