Re: Redundant squid setup

From: Maciej Kozinski <Maciej.Kozinski@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 10:00:30 +0200 (EEST)

Gyula Hajdu:

> Hi all,
>
> Here is my problem:
>
> Hungary US
>
> [ squid 1 ] <------- internal line -------> [ squid 2 ]
>
> The internal line is a 128 Kb/s line between the US and Europe. Both of
> the Squids has a other link to the internet.
>
> The cache1 has:
> cache_host_domain "it's parent" .hu
> cache_host_domain "squid2" !.hu
>
> The cache2 has:
> cache_host_domain "it's parent" !.hu
> cache_host_domain "squid1" .hu
>
> I am at the squid1. If the internal line goes down, I can not acces the
> sites !.hu, so I removed this limitation. Since I removed it I receiving
> the following:
>
> May 31 21:19:23 csorike squid[3281]: WARNING: Forwarding loop detected
> for: GET ...a lot of subabubbibda... for a .hu site
>
> Is there other way to create a redundant proxy setup? Should I care the
> message "Forwarding loop" (I do not receive a lot), or can I ingnore it
> safely?

The forwarding loop appears in rare case of forwarding request from your
one cache server to another. This is caused by setup where both serve .hu
domain to each other. The problem is discussed under this url:

http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/FAQ/FAQ-11.html#ss11.28

Returning to your first question (fail to access !.hu when the internal
line goes down) - I see you want to put all your traffic through your internal
line. The question is: do you have any additional link outside your site
except your internal line to the US? Or do you have any transport layer
(TCP/IP routable) access through internal line to the sites outside your
organisation? If you don't know the answer, don't worry, try e.g.:

 traceroute www.playboy.com

(I hope Playboy site is outside your internal net! ;-))
and send the result to us. The answer "how to setup redundant server" depends
on conditions described above.

Regards,
Maciej

--
           Maciej Kozinski         http://www.uck.uni.torun.pl/~maciek/
	   Remember: Un*x _IS_ user friendly... It's just selective about