Re: Squid blocks everything

From: Chris Dillon <cdillon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 08:46:09 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Ole Moller wrote:

> Written by 22:30 06-06-99 -0500,Chris Dillon
> >I use an external redirector that I wrote in PERL to do the job.
> >There is a redirector written in C called Squirm that should work very
> >well.
>
> >In other words, if someone visits http://www.denied.com and your
> >redirector then returns http://www.yoursite.com/blocked.html instead,
> >Squid creates a cache object for http://www.denied.com with the data
> >for http://www.yoursite.com/blocked.html in its place, which is wrong,
> >IMHO.
>
> Maybe you problem is that you only make a rewrite ie just change
> the url in the redirector, and not make a redirect. Try change the
> redirector to return 302:http://www.yoursite.com/blocked.html
> instead. This may solve your problem because the client/browser
> then would be redirected to the blocked-page without getting the
> redirect being cached.

Thanks for the tip. It works.

> I do see your point though and might agree with you that it is wrong that
> squid caches the document as the original url and not the rewritten url. I
> havent had any problems with it myself and it could be that there are some
> clever thoughts (or a old hack) behind this behavior.

Yes, I was wondering about the hack value, too, but I'm not sure what
it would be used for. As long as the redirection you're doing is
static (i.e. a certain URL is _always_ redirected) it works great, but
if not, there is a problem.

I'll still use my beginner C skills to look through the code for a
solution. :-)

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures (SPARC under development).
   ( http://www.freebsd.org )

   "One should admire Windows users. It takes a great deal of
    courage to trust Windows with your data."