Re: FTP with Transparent Proxy

From: Martin Boening <mboen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 12:02:07 +0200

Hi.

You could always use ftp-gw, which is part of the TIS Firewall Toolkit.
It's not entirely transparent though. If you come along with a UNIX client,
you need to connect to the host running ftp-gw first. Ifg you are allowed
to FTP into the internet (Access rules, it is after all a Firewall solution)
then you need to answer the 'User:'-prompt not with the Login Id itself but
with '<login-Id>@<server-host>'. Ftp-gw will then try to establish a
ftp control channel to <server-host> and authenticate as <login-id>. If all
goes well, you will be presented with a Password:-prompt coming directly from
<server-host>, so you need to enter the password you have there.

With 'intelligent' clients, this can be automatoed in a connection profile
(e.g ws-ftp, cuteftp). I've even hacked Novells Lan Workplace ftp to do it.

Second possibility (possibly overkill) is to set up a socks server and
then run ftp in a socksified environment or distribute the socksified 'rftp'
program everywhere (together with the needed libraries).

All this is rather off-topic, so if you like, we can discuss this bilaterally.

So long,
Martin Boening
Internet Access Munich

--
Martin Boening, MB3792    | EMail: mboen@sbs.de
SBS SCN VAS, Otto-Hahn-Ring 6, D-81739 Muenchen (Perlach), Germany