Re: Very quick question...

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 16:56:01 +0000

Reuben Farrelly wrote:

> If this cache does has the object I request and thus ICP_HIT, can this
> sibling already (or could the sibling Squid be programmed to) immediately
> send me the object back via an HTTP persistent connection before the
> ICP_HIT reply _rather_ than firstly an ICP HIT sent and then have my peer
> separately request this object from the sibling? [Does Squid do this already?]

No, your Squid must first make a HTTP request to the sibling.

What you can do is to eleminate the ICP query by using cache digests
instead. (enable cache digests in both Squids, and configure the peering
with no-query cache_peer option)

We once in a time had an option called UDP_HIT_OBJ which returned small
objects in the ICP HIT payload, but this has been removed by a number of
reasons (ranging from security to HTTP protocol requirements and
bandwidth usage)

> I guess this would make Squid a bit faster to respond to requests
> especially over a dialup modem link in which ICP requests can slow things
> down? ;)

ICP slows things down on any link.

--
Henrik Nordstrom