Re: WCCP 2.0

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 22:52:55 +0200

Jordan Mendelson wrote:

> probably want to put in some firewall rules. WCCP 2.0 fixed this problem, but
> it's currently not implemented in Squid (as far as I know).

WCCP 2.0 cannot be implemented in Squid at this stage due to licensing
requirements. Cisco has publically published the specification to WCCP
1.0 (available as an internet draft document), but WCCP 2.0 isn't
publically published, and implementing it requires licensing from Cisco
which isn't an option for Squid. Anyone having a trouble with this,
speak to your Cisco representative.

And please do not overestimate the usefullness of WCCP (any version) or
other "transparent" caching techniques. There are subtle problems with
the "transparent" approach to getting the users to the caches.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker