Re: Regular proxying works but Transparent proxying times out

From: Richi Plana <richip@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 01:10:44 +0800 (PHT)

On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

|o| > Perhaps I should have added that the setup works initially but after a
|o| > while (we still haven't determined how long or how much access is
|o| > necessary), transparent proxying stops working. All we get are network
|o| > timeouts.
|o|
|o| Is it only transparent proxying being affected, or does normal
|o| proxying also cease to function?

Only transparent proxying. We've seen it consistently happen that I'm
wondering why we're the only ones who seem to experience it.

|o| Hmm.. maybe you should try to do a packet trace to get a better
|o| understanding of what is going on. This does not sound like one of
|o| the usual problems.
|o|
|o| Further guesses on what may be going on:
|o|
|o| * Something may be wrong with the TCP redirection on the host
|o| where Squid runs, causing it to not forward some traffic to the
|o| Squid process.

Certainly possible. Would someone give tips on how to troubleshoot
this? I guess 'netstat -n' would show if it went through the three-way
handshake, but perhaps the best way is to sniff packets on the LAN and use
some protocol analyzer. Any recommendation on this end?

|o| * Something is causing a loop of ICMP redirect messages to be
|o| generated.

This is something we couldn't ordinarilly have guessed because none of us
are sure how the Cisco router does it's redirection. Does it just send
some kind of ICMP message to the sending device? Or does it actually
redirect/forward the packet to the "next-hop" router? If it does the
actual resending, does it modify the IP header in any way?

Thanks for indulging us. I'm pretty sure we're not the only ones
experiencing this. Hope this gets resolved.

L L Richi Plana 8^) ,-,-. ,-,-. ,-,-. ,-,-. ,-
LL LL Systems Administrator / / \ \ / / \ \ / / \ \ / / \ \ / /
LLLLL Mosaic Communications, Inc. \ \ / / \ \ / / \ \ / / \ \ / /
LLLLL mailto:richip@mozcom.com `-'-' `-'-' `-'-' `-'-'