Re: Is it possible to implement ipchains and transparent proxy in onesystem.

From: Russell Mosemann <mose@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 09:23:40 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 7 May 2000 kiran@mail.pol.net.in wrote:

> httpd_accel_host virtual
> httpd_accel_port 80
>
> httpd_accel_with_proxy on
>
> Can you please tell me where could be the problem. It is not wroking as
> transparent proxy, but It is working if we enable it in browser. What
> could be the problem, can you help me.

You also need "httpd_accel_uses_host_header on", as it says in the FAQ at
http://www.squid-cache.org/, but that won't solve the problem you are
having. By default, squid listens on port 3128. The "httpd_accel_port
80" simply means that when squid sees a packet destined for port 80, it is
supposed to accept that packet. That does _not_ mean that squid is
listening on port 80. If a packet arrives on port 3128 and the packet was
headed for port 80 on some computer, squid will accept it. How does this
happen? Read the FAQ at http://www.squid-cache.org/.

Basically,

1. packets headed for port 80 on some computer on the Internet must be
   redirected by the router to the computer where squid is _running_
2. that computer must redirect the packets to port 3128 where squid
   is _listening_

Russell Mosemann * Computing Services * Concordia University, Nebraska