RE: [SQU] redirector spec

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 08:35:48 +1100

Are you suggesting a round-robin approach? Squid currently does this:

1st request - first free redirector
2nd request - first free redirector

When a redirector is currently handling a request it is marked Busy.
If all the redirectors are Busy, the request is queued.

Why use first-free instead of round-robin?

First-free uses the first helper the most, then the 2nd and so on, so
most of your 32 helpers can sit swapped out freeing RAM for your working
set. Using a round-robin approach will page all your helpers into
memory. From a CPU point of view the first free is better as well
because when a request is finished, if there is a queue, squid can just
send the next request to the helper immediately, without going around a
poll() loop...

Rob