Re: [squid-users] Re: usage of pac

From: Adam Lang <aalang@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 15:57:35 -0400

Oh, well that is totally different. I didn't realize you were talking about
the automatic discovery.

The other gentleman is correct. Say you are in the domain mydomain.com.
Your computer will check DNS for the host address of wpad.mydomain.com.
When it finds that address, it will query it over http. It will query
wpad.dat in your www root.

Ok... here is an example.

Your webserver is 192.168.0.10

In DNS you add wpad in A 192.1686.0.10

IE will look for wpad.mydomain.com

It will get 192.168.0.10

It will ask that server, via http on port 80, for the wpad.dat file (the
file has to be in www root, ie www.mydomain.com/wpad.dat would be the
location of it)

It gets the file and uses it for configuration.

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
http://www.rutgersinsurance.com