[squid-users] delay pools problem.

From: Brock Henry <bhenry@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 11:30:12 +1100

Hello,

I am having some trouble using delay pools properly. I want to set it up so
that a 'group' of IP addresses (it's a D class subnet, and 2 C Classes),
has a maximum speed of 128kbps (that's kbits per second right?). And each
individual IP Address has a sustained rate limit of 16kbps, and a maximum
bursty limit ( or whatever it's called) of 56kbps.

This allows me to limit what the entire group uses of our available
bandwidth, and slows downloading of large files, but allows good speeds for
normal web page loading. This is what I want.

I set it up with the configuration settings below (ip's changed to protect
the innocent), and started up squid, which ran fine, so I have no syntax
errors. I started web browsing, and at the time, I would have been the only
one in the _group_ using the web. I loaded a fairly normal webpage, has
some pictures, but a fairly eyecandy light page (www.smh.com.au). I
expected the page to load up quickly, because it usually does, and should
be under the 56k limit I imposed.

The page loaded slowly, took about 5-10 seconds, instead of the blink of an
eye like it usually does. I did the test again, and examined the cachemgr
delay pool levels information.

(I didn't copy it, so this is from memory, can't remember the actual details)

It showed that the Individual limits were full, and so were the aggregate
limits!

 From my understanding of my config, it should not be possible for one
client (one IP address) to fill up the aggregate! And that normal sized web
page shouldn't have filled up the 56K limit anyway.

Can anyone help me with this? Sorry for the essay!

Config:
***************
acl shorelink src 192.168.100.193/27 10.10.1.0/24 10.10.11.0/24
acl LOCAL-IP dst 192.168.100.0/24 10.10.0.0/16
acl LOCAL-NET dstdomain .domain.com.au

delay_pools 1
delay_initial_bucket_level 10

delay_class 1 2

delay_access 1 allow shorelink !LOCAL-IP !LOCAL-NET
delay_access 1 deny all

delay_parameters 1 16000/16000 2000/7000
PS: I acually have 6 other delay pools, 5 with identical settings, but
different acl's,
and one simple one that seems to work OK (delay_parameters 1 -1/-1 1700/1700).

** Brock Henry - brockh@ozemail.com.au (H) - bhenry@shorelink.nsw.gov.au (W) **
** Adventure? Excitement? A Jedi craves not these things.**