Re: [squid-users] cisco ios 11.1 and squid do not work transp mode

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 17:49:12 +0100

Ok. Here is a small test protocol you can try to isolate where your problems
may be:

1. Set up a station on the same LAN segment as the proxy.

2. Remove all interception rules from your routers and proxy

3. From the Squid server, try to browse without using a proxy (use lynx if
you do not have X running). If this do not work then something is wrong with
the networking setup of your proxy server.

4. Start Squid

5. Configure your browser to use Squid as proxy. If this do not work then the
Squid setup is not correct.

6. Install the TCP/IP interception rules on the Squid server.

7. Can you still browse? If not then the interception rules are invalid.

8. Reconfigure the station to use the Squid server as default gateway, and
take away any proxy settings from your browser.

9. Try to browse. If it works, and your requests appear in Squid's access log
then the everything is correct so far. If it hangs and times out then
interception rules are not correct. If a Squid error message is returned then
your squid.conf is not correctly set.

10. Install the interception rules in your router.

11. Can you still browse? If not, then your router rule intercepts Squid when
Squid is trying to reach the internet... review your router rules.

12. Verify that you can browse from a station on the other "correct" side of
the router, and that the requests appears in Squid's access.log. If not then
your router interception rules are not correct.

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Developer