[squid-users] websense WISP implementation

From: Gianni Tedesco <gianni@dont-contact.us>
Date: 01 Oct 2002 11:54:40 +0100

Hi,

I thought this may be of interest to people in this list.

Websense is a web content filtering solution which allows
'inter-operation'(tm) with third party proxies.

When a request comes in the proxy asks the websense server whether to
allow it through or not. It does this with a proprietary protocol (I
believe it is called 'WISP').

Anyway, as far as I know, there is no implementation for squid, no free
implementation anywhere, and no documentation of the protocol.

I did a little reverse engineering and have come up with a simple tool
to query the server, which I may later convert in to a redirector/ACL
helper. The tool can be got at:

http://people.ecsc.co.uk/~gianni/code-fu/webschlong.c

Maybe this is useful to someone who is forced to use websense for one
reason or another...

--
// Gianni Tedesco (gianni at ecsc dot co dot uk)
lynx --source www.scaramanga.co.uk/gianni-at-ecsc.asc | gpg --import