Re: [squid-users] What Virus Scanning software runs "nicely" withSquid?

From: Jerry Murdock <jmurdock@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 08:26:18 -0400

Jumping in here..

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Hayder" <mic-lists-squid@wlug.de>
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2002 4:26 AM
Subject: RE: [squid-users] What Virus Scanning software runs "nicely"
withSquid?

> Am Mit, 2002-10-23 um 23.58 schrieb Carmelo A. Zizza:
> > TrendMicro you can find it at http://www.antivirus.com. You can also
> Hi,
> I had a look at this page many times ..... but which product do you mean
> exactly.

VirusWall

> Do you use this stuff in a production environment ???

Yes - several.

> Any lost of performance ???

Some - but there's no avoiding it. Your adding an extra layer of
proxying, and delivery of files to the client is delayed until the
complete file is received by Viruswall for scanning.

I minimize both problems with judicious use of always_direct acl's. I
generally run Viruswall as a parent proxy to my squid. I see no need to
send requests that won't be scanned like https or streaming content
through the Viruswall "box" (you can run both on the same physical
server).

Bottom line is little or no complaints from users after they are educated
about download delays. For basic browsing, there's generally no
noticeable delay, where users become aware of it is when the "download" a
large file. Viruswall will trickle just enough data to the browser to
keep the connection alive while it downloads/scans the full file. The
result is the user's progress dialog may have VERY large estimated time
numbers while the Viruswall does it's thing, then the file comes down all
at once.

Jerry