Re: ΄πΈ΄: Re: [squid-users] transparent proxy andauth

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:21:40 -0600

Robert Collins wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 23:52, Joe Cooper wrote:
>
> >It's in the FAQ, it's in the configuration file, and it gets answered
> >here about once a week, but it isn't the answer folks like to hear so
> >the answer is ignored...
> >
> > From squid.conf in the documentation section for proxy_auth:
> >
> ># # WARNING: proxy_auth can't be used in a transparent proxy. It
> ># # collides with any authentication done by origin servers.
> It may
> ># # seem like it works at first, but it doesn't.
> >

> >Perhaps it should say WARNING in bigger letters...
>

> Yep. I've made this comment before, and I'll make it again: There is a
> potential intelligent double redirect we could do to make this work (as
> opposed to not working!). I'm happy to implement that should someone
> wish to sponsor the work.

So maybe it should really say:

WARNING: Unless you're willing to put your money or your code where your
mouth is, don't even ask about using proxy_auth in a transparent proxy.
  It won't work, and no matter how many times you bitch about it on the
mailing list, the fact is that the Squid developers don't care about
this "feature" and so will not develop it unless they are reasonably
compensated for the time spent doing so.

Or perhaps I'm just being grouchy again. Time for my nap, I think. ;-)

Maybe a good task for the feature bucket, eh? But this probably isn't
one that I'll be chipping in on. ;-) Maybe the congregation are, in
fact, willing to put their money where their mouth is.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.