Re: [squid-users] Effective Squid Machines

From: Luka Z. Gerzic <stinger@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 15:37:23 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vicky Shrestha" <mail@vickysh.wlink.com.np>
To: <squid-users@squid-cache.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 03, 2002 8:57 AM
Subject: [squid-users] Effective Squid Machines

> We are running squid as transparent proxies for our network. However we
are
> not happy with the performance. The response time of squid is very high.
>
> We are using two combinations of squid.
> 1. squid2.4STABLE6 and kernel 2.4.18-3
> 2. squid2.2STABLE5 and kernel 2.2.14-12
>
> The Hardware is Pentium III 800 Mhz and Athleon 1.4Ghz with more than
512MB of
> ram.We are using SCSII drives on some and IDE on some.
>
> Is there any configurations options in Kernel that we can use to maximize
the
> perfomance of squid.

Here are some tips for improveing squid performance:

First put ReiserFS on your partitions and add this options to your
/etc/fstab
/dev/sda1 /speed/cache1 reiserfs notail,noatime 0 0

Next, calculate your disk space with amount of ram used with this formula:

# x = cache dir size (10Gb = 10,000,000 kb)
# y = Average object size in cache disk (average is 10-20k)
# z = Number of directoryes for squid cache dirs (256)

   ((( x / y ) / 256) / 256) *2 = z

Then set aufs to your disk cache dirs
cache_dir aufs /speed/cache1 17000 30 z

And add replacement policy for cache and memory to :
cache_replacement_policy heap LFUDA
memory_replacement_policy heap GDSF

And last is that you need to calculate amount memory to be
proportional with your amount of disk space. Do not put
large amout of squid disk space and small amout of memory,
that will degrade squid performance....

There are lot of other things to tune in squid, but i think
that this will improve your cache response significaly.

Best regards,
Luka Z. Gerzic

D r e n i k N e t w o r k s / Y u g o s l a v i a

Luka Gerzic - System Admin. - DrenikNet, Yugoslavia
Deligradska 19, 11000 Belgrade, YU
office phone:(+381 11) 659 641, 36 13 306
office fax: (+381 11) 3610 331
official web site : http://www.drenik.net/
personal web site : http://stinger.drenik.net/