Re: [squid-users] Transparent proxy

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 12 Nov 2002 16:24:15 +0100

Start by reading the Squid FAQ. It has a whole chapter on "transparent"
proxying.

The security risk is no other than setting up a normal proxy. The
confusion on this subject is from the small detail that the same
squid.conf directives is used when you set up Squid as a accelerator
infront of your own servers and then one of the directives has security
implications as it effectively enables Squid to run as a proxy..
Without this directive a pure accelerator server does not need to care
much about access controls, but when you enable it the administrator
needs to care to set up proper http_access controls to control which
sites the accelerator may be used for.

As you are setting up a proxy (transparent or not) you must set up
http_access access controls to limit who may use the proxy. A slightly
different scenario from setting up a accelerator server.