Re: [squid-users] Squid Memory Limitations?

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 09:58:16 -0600

Andrew Sawyers wrote:

> Robert,
> I was asking because one of our squid accelerated cache servers has 4GB of
> RAM in it and we saw a scenario in which it looks like squid restarted
> suspiciously close to 2048MB in process size.

> Since we noticed this suspicious restart on the biggest cache server
> first,
> I thought I'd find out for sure if there could be a problem there. We've
> set back our cache_mem to ~550MBs so we don't expect to exceed 2GB
> again...we're just leaving ~2GB of ram unused by doing so.

If your OS leaves this memory unused, you need a better OS. ;-)

The OS buffer/cache ought to do good things with that spare memory...In
my experience, after about 64MB or so, doubling cache_mem does almost
nothing for performance. And yet halving system mem from 512 to 256
makes a big difference. Scale this to your case, and I suspect you
might still see a drop in performance if you removed the extra 2GB.
Just a guess, though.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.