Re: [squid-users] Big access.log file

From: Marc Elsen <marc.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 15:37:21 +0100

Fabien Salvi wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Actually, I rotate my access.log file every week because I use prostat,
> a statistic tool that can be run only once per week.
>
> But, as my traffic grows, I ask myself if it can decrease performance to
> have very big access.log file.
> At the end of week, it can be around 1GB.
>
> Is it a problem ?
>
> It it is, I can rotate every day and cat log files each week...
>
> Thanks in advance for your help...

 That is very difficult to tell, you do not speak about
the SQUID version being used and the platform/os/version where
SQUID is running on ...

 Speaking then in general terms, I don't think it will be a problem
 to have a log file of 1Gb. Provided os available stats do not
 show i/o bottlenecks.
 Be aware of max. file sizes supported by your filesystem however,make
 sure the limit can not be reaches easily if the cron would or rotate
 would fail for instance.
 This could cause unintended downtime for your SQUID service.

 M.

--
 'Time is a consequence of Matter thus
 General Relativity is a direct consequence of QM