Re: [squid-users] IBM patents and Squid?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 21:36:18 +0100

Both articles leads me to the hopeful conclusion that the Open Source
movement has good chances to render Software Parents obsolete as a
weapon and only useful as a protective measure to protect from the same
software patents being issued to others.. which somewhat nullifies the
whole idea of even having the concept of software patents in the first
place.

The basic reasoning behind patents is a good idea. But the application
of the idea to reality and especially in case of computer software and
algorithms ends up in a really bad and negative construct completely
opposite to the basic reasoning behind why there should be patents in
the first place, actually inhibiting what the idea of patents are
supposed to protect.

It is a twisted world we are living in, and how patents is managed and
used is an area where it only can get better.