Re: [squid-users] Building squidNT-2.5

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 09:19:00 +0100

Guido Serassio wrote:

> This is an interesting question: currently the source tarball is build on a
> Linux system and because the file format depends from the environment used
> for the CVS download (Using *nix, Cygwin and MinGW the files are in Unix
> format, using a native CVS they are in DOS format), the Visual Studio
> Project files are in Unix format.
>
> So I will look for how to run a unix2dos conversion during the tarball build.
>
> Henrik: do You have some hints about ?

You have to decide on which format you want to have in the tar ball. I
would recommend having all the files in UNIX format if distributing as a
tar ball, and have them converted into DOS format when the tarball is
unpacked if needed. If you unpack the files on a cygwin ascii mount then
the conversion is automatic, if using other methods it depends on the
tool used for unpacking the tar archive.

The file formats used in the CVS repository should be UNIX format on all
files except for binary files which should be binary (usually automatic
by CVS. use cvs add -kb if unsure). It is the job of the CVS client
environment to convert these to DOS if needed.

For Windows users I think you want to add a zip format distribution
file. This should allow for automatic conversion where needed as zip
includes fileformat information. To add a zip format distribution file,
add dist-zip to AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS in the toplevel Makefile.am.