Re: [squid-users] NEGATIVE_HIT & TCP_IMS_HIT

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 06 Jun 2003 11:16:41 +0200

fre 2003-06-06 klockan 10.15 skrev Dean Wolmarans (Border Internet):
> Thanks for the input.
>
> The client has 15 pcs which all go through a squid 2.5 proxy with two
> network cards(one internal and external live address) every type of browsing
> works except the darn banking program which connects up via the web browser,
> (Windows XP with IE 6) how and where do I edit the squid.conf file to allow
> the internal pcs to make a direct connection to the banks webserver on the
> relevant ports in this case 15000-150010.

My previous response discusses this:

> > If you have a network where the proxy must be used then these
> > applications usually can't be made to work unless redesigned to use
> > the browser to connect to these ports via the CONNECT method rather
> > than connecting directly, and the proxy reconfigured to allow CONNECT
> > to these ports. This does not seem to be your case, as in such case
> > the CONNECT request will be logged in Squid access.log even if
> > denied.
> >
> > If you have a network where the client stations can connect directly
> > to these ports at the requested server then it might be a issue of
> > reconfiguring the browsers to allow Java applets downloaded via a
> > proxy to connect to the network. Some web browsers deny this by
> > default when using a proxy unless the applet is signed for direct
> > network access.

To clarify: What you are experiencing is not a Squid problem, but a
networking problem. The clients are only using Squid for downloading the
application, then the application tries to connect directly to the bank
address.

If the clients does not have direct access to Internet (possibly via
NAT) then this application cannot work.

As you are using a private network, your next question to the bank is:
Does the application work with clients behind NAT gateways?

Please consult the Squid FAQ and other available documentation before