Re: [squid-users] squid build reccomendations

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 11 Jun 2003 11:18:32 +0200

ons 2003-06-11 klockan 07.29 skrev richard.fuser@ernstyoung.com.au:

> My current parent proxys in peak times are running at about 2-3MBits/sec
> My current busiest child proxy in peak times are running at no more than
> 2MBits/sec

Then you should have very little to worry about..

> Running Solaris 9, Squid 2.5 STABLE3
>
> I have been advised to mount all cache disks with noatime

For high speed proxies (15Mbps or more) I also recommend adding a
disksuite transaction log to the filesystems with the log on a drive not
used for caching (the same drive as used for other logs is OK).

Note: From what I have been told this is not the same as the transaction
log supported by the Solaris 9 UFS filesystem. The UFS transaction log
mainly provides filesystem recovery, the disksuite transaction log in
addition provides improved performance.

> 1 Disk for logs
> Several cache disks, 3 has been reccomended does anyone have any valuable
> input on this ?

I would recommend 1 cache drive per 3Mbps of traffic, at least on
Linux/FreeBSD or on Solaris with a separate disksuite transaction log.
Not sure what number to use for Solaris without transaction log.

> Lots of RAM, Im hoping my 2GB will be enough?

It will be a bit overkill even.

> For children I was thinking 1 x 36 for cache and the other 36 split up for
> logs and OS as I only have 2 disks (can anyone see an issue with this?)

I would mirror the OS and logs, and split the cache on both drives.. For
only 3Mbps of traffic you do not need a huge cache.

> I have also been told its a good idea to tune the kernel to the weird
> things squid does, I dont really understand this comment but does anyone
> this its worth looking at tuning, and if so does anyone have a good place
> to start with Solaris 9?

Not sure which weird things this would be... Squid is a pretty straight
forward TCP/IP application, and you may need mostly the same tunings as
for a web server or other TCP/IP application.

If you use diskd then there is a bit of tuning required to increase the
shared memory and IPC message queues used by diskd as the default is
ridiculously small on most OS:es.. (Solaris included). See the Squid FAQ
for diskd requirements.

Please consult the Squid FAQ and other available documentation before