Re: [squid-users] Squid CPU Usage Problem

From: Peter Lustig <peter_lustig@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 20:28:11 +0200

Josh Corbalis wrote:

>We've noticed on several of our machines that squid is using 80-90% of
>the cpu. The machine specs are: Athlon XP 2200, 1 gig of ddr ram, Squid
>2.5 Stable2, Slackware 8.1, IDE disks. If anybody has any insight on
>how to get the cpu usage down to something more reasonable it would be
>a great help. Thanks in advance,
>
>Josh

I guess some more specs would be helpful.
How many users are using this server ? How is it connected to the
internet (bandwidth) ? How many accessess per sec. ? I guess you've
heard it often before, but have you checked if UDMA and not PIO is
enabled ? BTW.: Which Chipset works on the Mainboard ? I used to have
problems with Highpoint IDE Adapters (especially in Raid
configurations). Which sort of network adapter do you use ? Realtec
cards are famous for high CPU consumption on heavy throughput.
Perhaps you could go more in detail, it makes diagnostics a lot easier.

Greetings
Peter Lustig