Re: [squid-users] Replication not Caching

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 21:54:24 +0200

On Tuesday 01 July 2003 15.52, Bhattacharyya, Somraj wrote:
> Hi guys !!
>
> "If we replicate a web server and place it near as near as possible
> to a client then we might not require caching servers." This is a
> general statement and vissible for very large and popular web
> servers.

Yes and no.

This is the basic idea of Content Distribution Networks.

Different Content Distribution Networks uses different methods of
distributing the content, but most runs as a hybrid of pushing the
content and caching.

You can easily push the content to a Squid surrogate server by
requesting the content from it.

> Please note: Say by using say 5000 caching servers (roughly)we are
> serving a country, where same web pages are cached in dfferent
> severs.May be two servers side by side on a same table containing
> the same page, solving problem but isnt it wasting resources.But
> one replicated server of a particular website could handle the same
> situation, but ofcourse only for that web site.

There is many approaches to this issue. The two fundamental approaches
is that either you make sure the clients only hit one of the servers,
or you make the servers soemwhat aware what the other server has in
it's cache. If using Squid then ICP or cache-digests with proxy-only
peerings come to mind.

> How can squid and apache can technically help me to support this
> idea.Mainly to support replicating web doucuments with in web
> servers not caching.

The difference between replication and caching is merely a technical
difference, the functionality is mostly the same. Start by defining
the function you want to provide, then select technology to use.