RE: [squid-users] getting dhcpd client-hostname (or other name) in access log

From: Adam Aube <aaube@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 15:19:04 -0400

> I have several small sites that would like to be able to monitor user's
> access. The problem I am running into is that most of them do not want to
> have the user enter a password when the browser opens up. Doing it by IP
> normally would not be all that bad since it can be tracked down to an
> individual machine, but since most of these sites will be using dhcp they
> may change and can not easily be relied apon.

I would suggest you tell the sites there are three options:

1) Setup authentication. Note that if you have a Windows NT/2000 domain,
you can use the Winbind NTLM helpers and the users won't see a prompt.

2) Switch to static IP Addresses. However, explain to them that this will
only positively identify a machine, not a user. It will not protect against
someone surfing on another persons's machine (but authentication would).

3) Don't monitor users' access to the Internet.

Explain to them that there are no other practical solutions.

Adam

---