RE: [squid-users] squid to resolve local domain with out seeing /etc/hosts

From: Elsen Marc <elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 13:06:51 +0100

> Hi all,
>
> I have installed squid and is working fine for many days.
> Recently we shifted our web server to a IP say 172.16.2.80.
>
> but the system in which squid is running has in its /etc/hosts file
>
> 172.16.0.1 webserver
>
> I want this entry not to be changed becos of some
> other purpose.
>
> so now if anybody browse webserver thru squid it is pointing
> to 172.16.0.1
> as webserver.
>
> How can I make squid not to look in to /etc/hosts file and
> should resolve
> the local domains also thru DNS only..

You can't because squid is designed just for that;
to be able to resolve local domains via /etc/hosts.
You are turning the world, somewhat around.

Make sure that hosts and or dns names are unique whether
defined in /etc/hosts or not.
Then your problem vanishes.

So the 'other purpose' should be implemented in a more
transparant way on your Intranet.

M.