Re: [squid-users] Performance tuning Squid box for ISP traffic

From: Thomas-Martin Seck <tmseck-lists@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 20:09:48 +0100

* Chris Robertson (crobertson@gci.com):

> I don't think reiser is available on FreeBSD, but I've been wrong before...

You're correct. There is no support for ReiserFS on FreeBSD.

> In any case, if you are using BSD, make sure that your cache dir is using
> diskd vs ufs or aufs. Also, mount it on its own slice and use the noatime
> and async options.

On FreeBSD 4, only diskd should be used. FreeBSD 5 made much progress wrt
threading, so aufs might be worth a try there.

> You might also consider switching the OS to a linux 2.6 kernel, or NetBSD.
> Another subscriber to this list (Adam Aube) pointed out a "site with network
> server scalability benchmarks that compared
> Linux 2.4 and 2.6, FreeBSD 4.x and 5.x, NetBSD, and OpenBSD:
>
> http://bulk.fefe.de/scalability/"
>
> The results are a year old, and improvements may have been made, but its
> something to consider all the same.

I'd rather replace the single IDE disk the original poster mentioned
against one or more SCSI disks than the OS itself. (But I am biased
since I'm the current maintainer of squid's FreeBSD port).