RE: [squid-users] Upstream Proxy problem

From: Elsen Marc <elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:58:12 +0100

> > Local Squid version ?
> > Os/platform version ?
> Squid 2.5 Stable 6 on Fedora 2

 Optional, advisable : try with the latest stable release.

> > What is 'fails to work' ?
> > What happens more exact ?
> The application (to which I have no debug control) reports a failed
> internet connection whilst trying to retreive data from an
> http server.
> >
> > How are all requests passed to the upstream proxy ?
> > (config setting).
> The line from the config file is:-
> cache_peer proxy.easynet.net parent 3128 0

  OK, but if the ISP parent is the only one
with Internet access , and your local squid hasn't; then you need

   never_direct allow all

in squid.conf.

> > Determine (show) access log entries in Squid for objects which
> > can't be loaded (e.g).
> > These should be compared with log entries, from the
> Upstream Proxy,
> > when the upstream proxy is being used directly.
> I have no access to the logs from the upstream proxy, so
> can't tell what
> goes to it.

  It should be needed, if you can't figure it out further.
  Otherwise it's a black hole, in the possible information
  elements which may help you solve this issue.

> As far as I can tell, my proxy is not reporting any
> failures.
>
> The only other thing I could do is provide a tcpdump of the traffic to
> each of the proxies. Is there a log setting in squid that will show
> failed connections?

  The access.log entries from the application would be sufficient.
  Check the acces status for each object accessed through squid.
  Look for status-es indication failures , if any.