Re: [squid-users] Large acl regex causes Squid to use all memory on startup

From: Daniel T. Gynn <dan.gynn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 10:05:33 -0500

On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 17:14, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Daniel T. Gynn wrote:
>
> > I have an acl file that has about 500,000 lines in it. I'm declaring it
> > as a dstdom_regex type of acl.
>
> Why regex? I have a very hard time beleiving you have made 500K regex
> expressions for matching patterns in domain names.. (not explicit domain
> names).
>
> Quite likely you should be using a dstdomain type acl for the absolute
> majority of these.

Well, maybe I don't understand dstdomain well enough, but I thought
dstdomain was an exact match. In the file, the hostname usually isn't
included, so for instance, I have pornsite.com. I want it to match on
pornsite.com as well as www.pornsite.com and images.pornsite.com and so
on.

Looking at it further, I'm thinking maybe I'll get what I want by just
pointing a dot in front of pornsite.com. I tested it on one and it
seemed to work. I'll migrate the others and try. Thanks for pushing me
in that direction.

Dan

--
Daniel T. Gynn