Re: [squid-users] WCCPv2 + 2.6.9 Kernel

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 12:52:22 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004, Ronny wrote:

> :-\ got some how #$$% confused .You mean if am to run wccpv2 (grep module)
> + 2.6.9 kernel + Transparency (IPTABLES) I have to patch still?

No patch is required for the above setup consisting of the following
components:

   - WCCP enabled router
   - WCCP enabled Squid
   - Linux WCCP decapsulation using the standard Linux-2.6.9 GRE module
   - iptables interception of the decapsulated WCCP redirected traffic.

If you need WCCPv2 support then you need to patch your Squid with WCCPv2
control channel support. No changes in the kernel components required.

If you want your Squid to be "completely transparent" then you will need
the TPROXY patch mentioned, and in addition Squid must run directly on the
Internet gateway allowing the host to see all traffic in both directions,
not using WCCP.